Tuesday 27 March 2012

Odds and Ends

I can tell that you've been dying to find out what happened in the cup final in Bridgend last night. The questions went our way and we won. Enough about that.

Actually it's not been a bad week so far, quiz-wise. John's been in Hong Kong since last Wednesday. Now, the previous time we played in the Dyffryn Arms I mentioned that John would be away last Sunday to one of the teams there, and to cut a long story short I ended up saying that I'd play with them next time. I turned up on Sunday night, and there they were, gone. Or to put it another way, not there in the first place. So I played on my own. It was a bit of a list quiz, and a bit harder than we sometimes get in the Dyffryn Arms, and that seemed to suit me, and I won. By way of a change, the first prize was actually a watch. Well, if nothing else, I thought, then that's a nice change, and something different to add to the list of different things I've won in quizzes from time to time.

Mind you, it's always a bit of a let down when that first Monday after the end of the University Challenge season comes round. One of the pleasures of the league season is getting in, win , lose or draw, and being able to watch it on the iplayer. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Nick Hancock's "Breakaway", but it's not the same.

Speaking of which, full marks to Breakaway for allowing a quizzer of the calibre of Only COnnect Series 3 winner Dave Bill to have a go. I was late in from work yesterday afternoon, and the show was half over when I tuned in, but when I did I saw Dave straightaway, and he had broken away, and was well on the way to the money. Absolutely gutted for him when he got the last question wrong - which is the largest National Park in Great Britain ? Dave's answer - The Lake District - was the answer which is still given in many pub quizzes, but actually since about 2003 its been the Cairngorms. Very bad luck that. I think that I've seen the lady who went on to breakway and win the money on another show recently - it might have been Perfection. The question she was asked suited her, and she took the cash - that's the way that the game works. Still enjoying it, though.

2 comments:

Ben Dutton said...

Only Connect!!! Thank you , it's been bugging me where I'd seen Dave Bill before... and he was very unlucuky on Breakaway.

Londinius said...

Hi Ben - we aim to please ! Yes, he was unlucky, but I think his was the way to play. You can't guarnatee you're going to get money on any show, so you might as well have a bit of fun with it, and go for it.